Simple solution (use compress pictures)
- Click on one of the images,
- Click on the Picture Tools menu (Top right of Word), then
- Select [Compress Pictures] in the Adjust group on the ribbon bar
- Choose Apply to All pictures in the document, and [Ok]
Finding the problem images
If you have Word 2007 or 2010 they will save a Word document as a docx file (rather than doc). This is actually just a zip file with a docx extension. So, to find out your problem images:
- if your file is a doc file save as a docx, or make a copy of the file if it is a docx.
- rename the new docx to zip
- double click the zip file (or open the archive in your un-zipper program)
- Look in the folder word/media, and you should see the images and their file sizes.
- Double click on the images to see which ones they are,
- Remove the images in the original document and resize.